Monday, January 21, 2008

Saying I Do. With Compassion.


Tonight I must take a moment to give a personal shout out. Tonight, I honor a couple who live far from DC, and who's work is far removed from the Hip Hop scene. But their heart, dedication, and their compassion are exactly in line with what we stand for here at Comp Noise.

Miriam and Jake Hodesh are forces to be reckoned with all on their own. Together, they are unstoppable. Miriam and Jake are like magnets. They pull to them amazing people, stories, and opportunities. Over the past six or so years I have known them, I am continually awed and inspired by the things they do, feats the accomplish, and the people they help. So their wish to forgo gifts at their recent wedding reception and request instead for guests to make a donation in their name to the Save Darfur Coalition came as no surprise to any of us. The amount they were able to raise should have come as no surprise, either. (More than $20,000.) They were named Darfur's January Heroes and are featured on the website.
I am so proud to call them both my friends, and it is so wonderful to see what their union has already brought to the world. If we all took cues from this happy couple, the world would be a much brighter place. In my humble opinion, that is.

No comments: