Sunday, December 23, 2007

I talk a lot. I leave unnecessarily long voice mail messages, and I am known to write flowery emails with lots of adjectives and grammatically correct sentences. So why then, have I been hesitant to write for the Comp Noise blog? I mean, really WRITE. Not the "go see this show" or "this is super cool you should check it out!" postings I am currently submitting.

I was given some very good advice the other day, from a very trusted source. "Post to your blog. Update it every day. Never miss a day. Add as much information as you can. If it is worth reading, people will begin to read it." I hadn't thought about using this tool as such a resource. But it makes sense. Complete sense. So here goes this experiment in "worthwhile" written communication.

I will begin my quest to bring the DC Hip Hop scene to your fingertips, my mission to make local artists accessible and well promoted... from California. Of course that makes sense, right? Ha. But if I can pull it from across the country, then surely, I will be able to continue once I have returned from my original home of funk, the East Bay.

I have to admit that, while I founded a Hip Hop organization in DC, and feel myself to be in touch with the scene here, I know very little about what is happening out west. I plan to do do as much self-educating as I can in the week or so I am out there. For starters, I plan to get in touch with the guys at Oaklyn TV. I will go take classes at New Style Motherlode. Perhaps even venture over to Funkanometry SF.

I am a totally different person now than I was when I left Oakland some ten years ago. (Duh, captain obvious. Of COURSE I'm different.) But what I mean is, that I am ready and excited to embrace who I am now, my DC Hip Hop self, and see how that applies to my home and once-familiar surroundings in The Bay.

As I kick off this new chapter in Complementary Noise's evolution book, let me first say, Happy Holidays to you all. Here is to spreading peace, love, joy, inspiration, and creativity in '08!

No comments: